Thursday, September 2, 2010

Continued adventures in paradise

Yes, it’s true that I haven’t posted in over a month. And no, I didn’t fall off the face of the earth (though I did, at one point, fall into the Indian Ocean). I like to think that I’ve been too busy living life to write about it.

My activities over the past month have included: a weekend in Hermanus where I experienced my first ever backpackers (youth hostel), sea kayaking (R.I.P. sunglasses - see above comment about falling into the ocean), boat-based whale watching, strolling on the cliffs along the beach, great white shark cage diving, paintballing in the woods, and quad biking in the mountains and vineyards just before sunset; an afternoon in Cape Town watching the demolition of the cooling towers, a decades-old landmark; a day touring Cape Town, including Mass at St. George’s Anglican Cathedral (where Desmond Tutu used to preside) and a visit to the South African Holocaust Museum; daily Mass, prayer at the reproductive health clinic in Cape Town, and various other events with the Catholic student group; a couple of braai’s; a couple of rainy afternoons snuggled up with my blanket and coffee mug; countless hours playing, working, teaching and learning at Lynedoch Primary School, my service site and one of my favourite places in the world; dozens of train rides; miles of walking; minor Afrikaans acquisition and implementation; class attendance and homework; three papers; two written tests; new friendship development; and lots of time in conversation and reflection, attempting to hash out my continually-developing world view amidst the social, political, economic, cultural, historical and spiritual landscape of my new home. And, upon completing my Afrikaans midterm this morning, I am now officially on holiday. Hello, Spring Break.

I don’t know what more to say about my adventures except that they are incredible. I was under water with great white sharks, only a couple of feet and a few iron bars separating us. I worshiped in the same place an internationally known and celebrated bishop and pioneer for peace did for years (granted, I could say also that of my worship at the Cathedral at home – my priest here immediately commented on “that fantastic Archbishop of yours” when he found out I was from Denver). Every day I ride past fields of zebras and ostriches, past wine farms that are known for their cheetah and white lion sanctuaries. Where else in the world could I say that?

I’ve settled into life here quite comfortably – I’m confident in my ability to find my way around Stellenbosch and to use the train, I’m learning the value of a rand and a degree Celsius without constantly converting to US dollars or Fahrenheit, and I’m not so nervous about interacting with the locals. I go to church, school, the bank and the grocery store as if I actually live here, and I can (almost) always understand the South African accent and slang. And I’m not really sure how I ever lived without rooibos tea and breakfast rusks.

peace and love

ps. My friend coerced me into doing a 30 day blog with her friends from back home. You can follow it at jpett-30days.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment